Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Has anybody here had their phone repaired via Verizon's Asurion insurance?

I'd paid $180 in Asurion phone insurance as part of my Verizon plan over the last 18 months I've had my G3, and I think it may be time to finally use it.

Some time within the past several days, it appears I must have pressed too hard on my screen at some point because now, when the screen is dark/black, there is a reasonably noticeable 'smudge' (for complete lack of a better word) inside my screen that is a lighter color than the rest of everything else. I can't really seem to think of the correct words right now to describe it, but it's basically what you'd imagine would happen when you press a screen too hard. The fortunate thing is, it's really only noticeable when the screen is dark, but it's still enough to drive me nuts.

I had a few questions about Asurion. ~3 years ago, I paid my $100 deposit and sent my old Galaxy S3 in because I broke the screen. They sent me back a brand new phone. It was sealed in the original stock box and it came with everything a new phone does (headphones, cable, charger, all the paperwork.) Plus the phone was very clearly not a refurb; it was flawless. I was under the impression I was meant to either have the screen repaired on my phone or get a refurb, but I absolutely got a brand new phone. Maybe I was lucky.

But I understand that my experience likely wasn't typical. So I want to know, from people who have sent their faulty/broken phones in to Asurion:

- Did they fix your problem and send your old phone back? Or,
- Did you get a refurb? Or,
- Did you get a new phone?

Normally, I wouldn't care, but my serious concern is that I might get a new or refurb phone that has an updated OS. This brings me to my next question(s).

- If I get a new/refurb phone back from Asurion that is running 47A or something else relatively new, will I still be able to unlock my bootloader, install TWRP, root, and just generally get everything back to the way I have it now, loaded with customization and modifications? Or do the newer G3 updates keep the phone locked down permanently, in which case I'll be SOL? What's the most recent software update to which I'll be able to make all of my modifications to?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just want to make sure I get everything cleared up. I would really like to get this screen issue repaired ASAP, but if there's any chance at all that I'll be stuck on stock un-rooted forever when I get the phone back, I'm not going to take that chance. But if it's trivial to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, and root the newer updates like 47A, I'll be sending my phone in ASAP.

Thanks.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1MIzffm
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment