Friday, July 29, 2016

Controller hardware mod?

Hi all,

I have no idea if this is the right forum (or even site for that matter) for this question, but I've been reading around on here a bit and it seems mostly related. Hopefully someone can offer some insight. If it is the wrong site or forum, I apologize. I searched for a similar topic but didn't find one.

So, for years now, I've been hoping and wishing that a new Xperia Play (or similar) device would be released. It hasn't been until recently that I've decided it's just clearly not going to happen, and maybe with enough research, I can just make it happen myself. So here's my idea:

All I really want is to take an existing Android phone (I'm researching ones that might work well) and add a slide out controller attachment onto the bottom. Ideally, it would feel very similar to the PSP Go. As a matter of fact, my current idea (since I have no experience with modding whatsoever) is to utilize the Go's bottom controller casing / internals and get them attached to an Android phone. The problem obviously, is getting that controller to communicate with the phone. I don't know if maybe getting the controller piece to just broadcast through bluetooth would be easiest (so the actual phone doesn't need to be opened up) or if there's a better / more elegant way.

So my question is this: how difficult would this be do you think? Is it a complete pipe dream? Is it something that, with enough dedication, time and research, even a noobie to hardware modding could possibly do? Or should I just assume this is impossible and give up? I assume the cost to buy materials won't be cheap, and I'm willing to spend $500-$1,000 if necessary to get it done.

I'll continue to do some research by reading through various threads here and on other sites but can anyone give me any tips/advice or offer their thoughts?

Thanks for reading!
Jason


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2awRyVa
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment